Monday, October 15, 2012

Why I do this.

Well, here I am, back again after family emergencies and a busy fall season. I'm grateful for a little down time before the next round of performances and other commitments. Things are a little normal for right now, but I don't expect it to last long, what with THE HOLIDAYS coming up and all.

I've been reenacting since 1995. I know a lot of people think it's a strange hobby. I'm okay with that, and frankly I don't care. We all do what enriches us, whether it's bunjee jumping or sleeping in a canvas tent in freezing (or unbearably hot) weather. Add historic music into the mix, and it gets even weirder, I guess. I mean, who spends most of their time listening to 200+ year-old songs? I haven't listened to contemporary radio regularly in eons, and everytime I get a small earful of it, everybody sounds alike to me - but that's another story for another time. The last music I got was Woody Guthrie's Centennial collection, a birthday gift from Mister. Yep. Definitely behind the times.

I know folks wonder why I do this. Well, I'll tell you.

It's the people.

The people who help you put up your tent in the dark and make sure you have everything you need for the night. . . the people who tell you not to bring any food because they've got it all covered. . . the people who loan you extra blankets because you didn't plan on it being so cold. . . and the people who bring you ice when you didn't plan on it being so hot. The people who share all their best resources with you so you can learn more. . . the people who walk you through a new tune so you can play along without looking like a complete idiot. And of course, the people who appreciate what you do enough to come back year after year and sit through all your shows.

But the best thing of all is. . .well, I'll just have to show you the picture. Even with all my schooling in how to finesse the English language, there are no words to tell you how much this birthday card means to me, given to me by a young lady I see maybe twice a year. I will cherish it always, and it is in these things that I am rich.



Till next time - make sure you count your wealth in the things money can't buy.

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I'm a reenactor, too, although it sounds from your post as if my period (the Middle Ages...I'm a member of the SCA) is a little further back than your period. But, I love it, although I haven't been able to attend very many events this year.

    Also, I envy you your Woody Guthrie collection. That sounds very, very cool.

    By the way, I got here via LSG over on Ravelry. I'm missattitude over there.

    ReplyDelete